It is worthy of note that God made provision of healing before man fell. God knew man will get hurt and would need healing. Of a truth, getting emotionally disturbed is normal and part of human. The church was hurting in the passage above which is not bad. It is absolutely normal for such situations to arise. Jesus also expressed his emotion when He got to the tomb of Lazarus. He was grieved at the death of His friend.
“Jesus wept.” John 11:35 NIV
Hurt when severe leads to depression and anyone who is depressed and sorrowful cannot experience God because “in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.” Psalms 16:11 KJV. It is worthy of note that where there is no joy, all forms of satanic operations manifest.
There are three (3) dimensions to Hurt;
- Someone can be an agent to hurt you acting under the influence of the devil.
- Satan is the master planner of sorrow.
- You can afflict yourself.
In the scriptures under consideration, the following can be observed
- There was a misunderstanding. What is misunderstanding? It is a missing knowledge about a standing matter.
- The Greek-speaking Jews laid their genuine complaint to the Apostles.
- The Apostles did not leave the word of God and prayers at the expense of the misunderstanding. They offered a solution which was the selection of deacons.
- They were concerned about the welfare of their members.
Misunderstanding is a missing knowledge about a standing matter
The following are 5 results when Deacons work effectively
- Seed of Discord Cannot Grow – Having deacons does not mean the seed of discord will not be sown, but their effectiveness will ensure that such seed are not allowed to grow. After the 7 deacons were elected, the complaints ceased.
- Help for Pastoral Ministry – When deacons are effective, pastors do not experience burn out as they help lift the pastors hand just like Hur and Aaron “So Joshua fought the Amalekites as Moses had ordered, and Moses, Aaron and Hur went to the top of the hill.” Exodus 17:10 NIV “When Moses’ hands grew tired, they took a stone and put it under him and he sat on it. Aaron and Hur held his hands up–one on one side, one on the other–so that his hands remained steady till sunset.” Exodus 17:12
- Healing of Hurting Brethren – Effective deacons seek for the peace and prosperity of the church. Helping to quench discord or crisis is providing healing to those who are involved.
- Ministry of Unstoppable Increase – Increase here is first “QUALITATIVE” before “QUANTITATIVE”. So God’s message continued to spread. The number of believers greatly increased in Jerusalem, and many of the Jewish priests were converted, too. Acts 6:7 NLT. The members within the church moves to maturity and the church also increases in number.
- Increase in Anointing for Soul Winning – Effective deacons are also soul winners. They do not eye the pulpit to reach out to unbelievers. They are carriers of the good news “Philip, for example, went to the city of Samaria and told the people there about the Messiah.” Acts 8:5 NLT. They don’t serve tables along, they are knowledgeable and vast in the scriptures and they are ready ti share the gospel wherever they find themselves.
CONCLUSION: A deacon is a leader. The results itemized above applies to every leader. Wherever you find yourself as a Christian – home, church, work, public service, business e.t.c, these results should be produced in you.
Author: Reverend Olusegun Aigoro
Church Pastor at New Realm Baptist Church, Ojo
Image Credit: law.careers360.com